It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:42 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Request -Constraint Rotation Limits 

Hey there, great stuff! I really dig your tools.
I was wondering if you guys could put into UnityConstraints actual constraints on look at rotations?
Currently it seems that the object doing the looking will rotate however far it needs to in order to keep looking at the object.
In my game, I need a limited range of rotation on a turret and it would be great if UnityConstraints had local rotation limit fields built in.

Thanks and keep up the great work!
-P

Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:23 am

chirp...chirp......chirp...chirp :roll:

Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:31 pm
Site Admin

Hi,

I think this would be pretty easy to do by adding angle-limiting to UnityConstraints.cs MaskOutputRotations() method. This method is used by the smooth lookat constraint to output the result on the specific local axes. This wouldn't stop it from flipping if the target went behind the object and crossed the 180-degree-line of course. It may also get tricky if using more than 1 axis at a time (which is something that method doesn't support since it is expected that you would use a second constraint for a second axis I believe). This would probably need to be a new type of constraint (new component).

So some parts are trivial and some aren't. I don't know if we would add this at this time as we have a lot on our plate, but it is an interesting idea that would be worth doing.

By the way, we actually have this behavior working in TriggerEventPRO which handles more complex look-at situations and target tracking. It works around UnityConstraints by manipulating the target though (remove if out of angle range and include if in angle range). Just another possibility.

Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:22 pm
Site Admin

I just realized I didn't offer any workaround. You can do a rigging trick and make the GameObject with the look-at constraint a sibling of the actual head rotation parent then make a simple script that uses the constraint-object's local rotations while within a range. In other words, use the constraint as a reference only and just ignore it when you are out of a given range.

Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:08 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]